These past couple weeks have been rough. The Yankees have hit a bit of a rut and with this Posada thing last night, fans seem universally down. Moshe made several good points earlier on why the offense isn’t as bad as advertised, mainly in reference to their batting average. Lately though they’ve been pretty terrible. Here are some relevant facts on the offense.
- It seems like the Yankees never score with runners in scoring position, right? I certainly feel that way. While the Yankees have a regular season wOBA of .345, which leads baseball, with RISP the Yankees have a .319 wOBA, which is middle of the pack.
- Their BABIP with runners in scoring position is also pretty illuminating-it’s the second lowest in baseball at just .235, better than only the Athletics.
- In April, the Yankees batted .253/.337/.475 with a .356 wOBA. In May though they’re down to .247/.333/.395 with a .325 wOBA. You’ll notice the only huge difference there is the SLG%. Too many hoomahs. In April they lead baseball in ISO by 20 points with a .222 mark. In May it’s down to .148.
The whole, “too many homers” thing is ridiculous of course. Scoring runs anyway you can get them is always the name of the game. Is it possible the Yankees score most of their runs via the HR? Sure. Is that some horrible, awful sign? Absolutely not. While it does seem they’re not scoring as much when it doesn’t come after a big fly, I think the low BABIP with runners in scoring position could be to blame. Going forward, I’d be surprised if that didn’t change.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Christina on Game Thread: Angels versus Yankees, Saturday July 14th
- walkfit platinum reviews on The TYA staff on the Yankees’ television and radio broadcast teams
- essentialtexting.com on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- www25.tok2.com on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- グッチ 財布 on Sunday Links-Joba’s Timetable, Comparing eras, Pineda
- raspberry ketone diet 1200 on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- Free riot codes on Off-Topic
- Fran on The Great Subway Race
- sleeping bag hand Orientation on What about Austin Romine?
- camping stove heat diffuser on What about Austin Romine?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees