Brian Cashman had things to say, so I’ll say things about the things he said.
Cashman specifically named four big league players who teams have called about: Nick Swisher, Brett Gardner, Russell Martin and — when asked — Cashman said that, yes, teams have called about A.J. Burnett.
Of those two, Gardner and Swisher are the only ones I think the Yankees would seriously consider trading. I’m sure they’d trade Burnett, but the cost they’d have to pay in terms of picking up salary may not be desirable. In terms of getting effective pieces back, Swisher and Gardner are the best bets. Still, I don’t see either one of them playing anywhere but the Bronx in 2012. Both are reasonably priced and fit well with the team.
As he searches for ways to bolster the rotation and add depth to the bench, though, a trade is obviously a consideration. His most valuable trade chip remains prospect catcher Jesus Montero, but that sort of deal remains unlikely.
“I’ve had his name mentioned earlier today in a text message,” Cashman said. “Somebody proposed an idea and said, ‘Hey, if you don’t do this, I’d have to ask about a guy I know you’re going to say no on, and that’s Montero.’ … It’s easy for me to trade him, it’s just hard to part with him. So it makes no sense for me to define what I would or wouldn’t do. It’s in our best interests to keep him, and that’s how I’ve always felt unless a unique circumstance happened. (Cliff) Lee was a unique circumstance and prior to that, and post that, nothing has presented itself that would make me think about it.”
This just gives us confirmation of what we knew before and what we know makes sense: You don’t trade Jesus unless it’s for something very special. That probably isn’t going to happen.
• Wilson’s agent, Bob Garber, seems happy with today’s conversation with Cashman. He told Marc Carig that the Yankees have asked for another meeting in New York to talk about Wilson. Garber said that today’s conversation had much more to do with Wilson than Roy Oswalt.
That’s certainly an interesting development. It doesn’t quite mean that the Yankees are on the verge of anything, but it shows they have at least moderate desire for C.J. Wilson. I still think at the end of the day, he’ll end up somewhere else, but it doesn’t hurt to take a look. As for Roy Oswalt, I’d like to see him on a one year deal, but I don’t think that’s going to happen.
I expect [the rotation] to be CC, AJ, Hughes, Nova and the rest of it is going to come from that pack below or it will come from an outside source that we have negotiated with or trade for.”
More confirmation of what we knew, but I’ll believe this rotation when I see it. Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but Cash saying both A.J. and Hughes will be in the rotation smacks of “Bubba Crosby is our centerfielder” to me.
Cashman once again said he’s interested in bringing any of Chavez, Andruw Jones, Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon back to the Yankees, but some of those might price themselves beyond what the Yankees want to spend.
All of them would fit for one reason or another, and I think we’ll see at least two of them back. I’d bet on Jones and Garcia rocking Pinstripes again.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees