The Yankees topped the Cubs 4-3 on Saturday afternoon in a rather sloppily pitched game that nevertheless only yielded seven total runs. A.J. Burnett only lasted 5 1/3 innings, striking out an impressive eight while walking three, giving up four hits and two runs courtesy of a Carlos Pena two-run shot.
Ryan Dempster put 14(!) Yankees on in his 5.1 innings, and yet the Yankees only managed to scratch out three runs. Leading 3-2 heading into the ninth, that appeared to be all they’d need, though Eduardo Nunez knocked in a huge insurance run in the top half of the inning — a run it turned out they’d need, as Mariano Rivera gave up his first home run of the season, a solo shot to Reed Johnson of all people. Fortunately Mo was able to take care of business after an Alfonso Soriano single, picking up a quick double-play and three-pitch strikeout to close things out.
The Yankees will look to pick up the series win tomorrow night on ESPN. Having scored all of five runs through this series’ first two games, I’d expect the offense to finally bust out in a big way against the mediocre Randy Wells in the finale.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Christina on Game Thread: Angels versus Yankees, Saturday July 14th
- walkfit platinum reviews on The TYA staff on the Yankees’ television and radio broadcast teams
- essentialtexting.com on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- www25.tok2.com on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- グッチ 財布 on Sunday Links-Joba’s Timetable, Comparing eras, Pineda
- raspberry ketone diet 1200 on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- Free riot codes on Off-Topic
- Fran on The Great Subway Race
- sleeping bag hand Orientation on What about Austin Romine?
- camping stove heat diffuser on What about Austin Romine?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees