This week, the Yankees did next to nothing at the winter meetings. They did win the rights to Japanese shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima, but that’s nothing overly significant. While the Marlins and the Angels went absolutely nuts, the Yankees sat back contently and didn’t do anything.
Some wondered aloud if the Yankees were lacking in activity out of financial restraint and others augmented that thought, saying the Yankees were being a little too careful with their money. I can see that line of reasoning, considering that the money that C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle got wasn’t exorbitant. But, I cannot bring myself to agree with that line of thinking.
The Yankees “failing” to sign either Buehrle or Wilson has more to do with their evaluations of those two as pitchers rather than as prices. While it may appear the Yankees were pinching pennies by after Freddy Garcia and not bothering with the two best lefties on the market, the fact that they never got past preliminary talks with Buehrle and passed on the last chance for Wilson indicates that they just didn’t like either guy to fit their club. Brian Cashman didn’t say much publicly about Buehrle. He did, though, talk a bit about Wilson. He said that Wilson was the best starter on the FA market, but all other things that leaked from the organization said they didn’t think of Wilson as a frontline guy.
Perhaps the Yankees are saving their money and resources for a target they like better, like Yu Darvish. If they go hard for the coveted Japanese right hander, I think this mini-financial “mystery” will be solved. There are reasons why neither Buehrle nor Wilson is a Yankee right now; most of them are baseball related.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees