One statistic that gets thrown around a lot as a measure of luck is Batting Average on Balls In Play, or BABIP. BABIP measures how often balls that are batted into the field of play go for hits. Because about 30% of balls in play tend to go for hits, a player [...]
Over the past several days I’ve examined batted ball data and expected batted average on balls in play for several key Yankees: Mark Teixeira, Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher. The conclusions have varied for each player, but the one constant theme has been that batting average, and BABIP, only tell you a [...]
Our series analyzing the Yankees and their xBABIP data rolls on this afternoon with Nick Swisher. The past two pieces have examined Mark Teixeira and Brett Gardner. Swisher is in the midst of a career year, hitting a sweet .298/.377/.524 with 15 home runs (note: all data is as of the All-Star Break and does [...]
Today, the series on xBABIP and the 2010 Yankees continues with an examination of Brett Gardner. The introduction to xBABIP, how it’s formulated and why it’s useful, can be found in the first piece discussing Mark Teixeira. Unlike Teixeira, Brett Gardner has a sky-high BABIP of .360 so far in 2010. This [...]
Batting Average on Balls in Play, or BABIP, is a simple stat. It measures the percentage of plate appearances in which a ball put into play falls for a hit. Often times, BABIP is used as a proxy for luck. If very few balls happen to fall into play and the batter has a low [...]
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees