A month ago on Fangraphs, RAB author Joe Pawlikowski profiled Tommy Hunter. When he wrote the post, July 28th, Hunter had a 2.31 ERA, best among starting pitchers with at least 60 innings. Hunter doesn’t profile as an ace, and Joe noted that the primary way he had gotten success in 2010 was by [...]
The flaws of the Win statistic are so obvious that it is hard to imagine anyone taking it seriously as a good indicator of pitcher talent. So much that goes into earning a Win is outside of the pitcher’s control – his defense, his offense, the quality of the opposing pitcher that day, and how [...]
On Tuesday I linked a piece that Tommy Bennett of Baseball Prospectus wrote about the best relievers in baseball. In this piece, Bennett discusses the difficulty involved when trying to evaluate Mariano Rivera, who consistently outperforms even the most advanced metrics. Rivera’s skill, Bennett concludes, is his apparent ability to sustain a low BABIP [...]
To most observers, Alex Rodriguez is having a down year. His batting average is .267, and he’s averaged .303 his entire career. His on-base percentage is an ugly .335, 60 points below his career average. His slugging percentage is .488, the lowest of his career and nearly 100 points below his career average of .571. [...]
Over the next few days, I’m going to look at the entire American League All-Star Game roster and break down the selections. Today, I’ll start with the AL starting pitchers, a conversation surely familiar to readers of TYU. Two weeks ago I examined the cream of the AL SP crop and made a preliminary ranking [...]
On Friday, Pat Andriola published a very common sense-driven piece on Fangraphs enttled “Who You Face Matters“. While the article title probably deserves a sic (isn’t it Whom? any grammarians out there?), it provided a very logical argument that it’s important to consider the quality of opposition faced when evaluating HR/FB%, and by extension [...]
Over the past two days I’ve reviewed how the Red Sox and the Rays have fared against their preseason CHONE projections. I’ve also handed out some awards. The “Baseball Isn’t Played on Spreadsheets” Award has gone to the player who has outperformed his projection in a significant way. Adrian Beltre earned it for [...]
Yesterday we looked at how the Tampa Bay Rays were stacking up thus far to their preseason CHONE projections. We continue this series today with the hated Red Sox. We will go through the offense and the starting pitchers, and then hand out some awards.
C – Victor Martinez. Projection: .294/.366/.450, 17 HR [...]
After last night’s win, the Yankees’ record now stands at 26-16, a total of 42 games. 25% of the season is over, which makes me a sad panda. Other analysts and pundits are handing out awards, and some teams are already talking about the playoffs, so I put together a review of my own, analyzing [...]
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees