In pulling together the Yanks-Rays Series Preview for this week I couldn’t help but notice that the four teams likely headed to the postseason in the American League had four of the strongest bullpens in the league. Not that this is surprising news in any way, shape or form, but it did make me wonder [...]
There are three things that are certain in life: death, taxes, and the need for left-handed pitching help. Being a lefty is recession-proof; if you’re a lefty reliever your lifespan in baseball can get extended well beyond what a similarly talented right-handed reliever would expect. Seriously, if my future son takes a liking to baseball [...]
[image title="14xphf4" size="full" id="21355" align="center" linkto="full" ]
Over the last few days, the Yankee fanbase has been embroiled in debate over the decision-making of Joe Girardi. His handling of the bullpen has been the primary subject of discussion, as Joe has been resting relievers based upon a particular usage framework that he and his [...]
As the playoffs approach and the Yankees continue to whittle down their magic number (currently 11) and get closer to locking up a spot in this year’s playoffs, examination inevitably turns to the construction of the playoff roster. In light of Nova’s outing last night, the Yankees will have a tough decision to make when [...]
In last night’s 1-0 loss to the Rays, Girardi handed the game to Kerry Wood and Boone Logan after Sabathia’s masterful 8 inning performance. After the Yankees failed to put runs on the board, Girardi’s bullpen grew thin and he turned to Chad Gaudin, who managed to escape unharmed but could not have been any [...]
Much has been made recently of the relative struggles of the Yankee pitching staff. Sure, it’s nothing in comparison to what Texas is going through, but the Yankees are still waiting on Andy Pettitte to return from injury, for one of AJ Burnett or Javier Vazquez [...]
On Tuesday I linked a piece that Tommy Bennett of Baseball Prospectus wrote about the best relievers in baseball. In this piece, Bennett discusses the difficulty involved when trying to evaluate Mariano Rivera, who consistently outperforms even the most advanced metrics. Rivera’s skill, Bennett concludes, is his apparent ability to sustain a low BABIP [...]
(the following originally appeared on my blog here last night)
I don’t always watch the postgame show. Most of what I care about–manager and player quotes–are picked up on by the beat writers, but after a win like tonight’s, I kept YES on while I made gleeful and petulant comments on Twitter.
Girardi’s postgame [...]
The banged-up Yankee roster had to resort to using Javier Vazquez as a long reliever last night. I actually give Joe Girardi a lot of credit for foresight – he skipped Javier in the rotation in part to take a start away from his worst starting pitcher, but also in part to allow the team [...]
[image title="yankees4" size="full" id="17448" align="center" linkto="full" ]
One frequent complaint of baseball fans attempting to quantify the performance of relievers is the lack of a metric that provides an adequate representation of how a reliever impacts the game. ERA is faulty for players who frequently enter with runners on base, and other stats like [...]
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees