Two interesting sabermetric tidbits that I found share-worthy came up over the last few days:
The fantastic Marc Carig of the Star-Ledger is now writing for Baseball Prospectus, and his first column made an excellent point about defensive metrics:
Which brings me to the idea of defensive metrics. [...]
One statistic that gets thrown around a lot as a measure of luck is Batting Average on Balls In Play, or BABIP. BABIP measures how often balls that are batted into the field of play go for hits. Because about 30% of balls in play tend to go for hits, a player [...]
Much was made about Austin Jackson‘s rather obscenely high Major League-leading .396 Batting Average on Balls in Play throughout the 2010 season, and rightly so, as he posted a .395-plus BABIP in three of the season’s six months (including a jaw-dropping .530 in April, his debut month, and .432 mark in July). This [...]
Throughout the entire American League Championship Series, one aspect that has struck me more than anything else about this Texas Rangers team — and given the way they’ve mostly manhandled the Yankees, there’s certainly been plenty of competition in the “things I wasn’t aware the Rangers were capable of doing” [...]
Scary to think of the damage this team will inflict once the top of the order starts kicking it into gear. Nick [...]
Last year, I couldn’t help but be a little bit captivated by the whole Rays phenomenon. I was a believer from even before the season started, though I admit to thinking they’d hit some kind of prolonged dry spell some time during the season that they never actually hit. They were an easy team to [...]
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees