Phil ‘The Scooter’ Rizzuto would have been 95 today, so I thought it would be fun to look back at some of his numbers and if you have any Scooter memories, you can leave them in the comments. Though to be honest, if you’re old enough to have seen him play, I’m impressed that you know how to use the Internet.
His career slash line: .273/.351/.355/.706
His OPS+: 93
Rizzuto won the MVP Award in 1950. He batted .324/.418/.439/.857 and had an OPS+ of 122. He had a career high of seven home runs – yes, seven – and collected 66 RBI – not a career high. He had 200 hits, walked 96 times and only struck out 39 times.
Rizzuto was a World Series champion in 1941, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952 and 1953, and he made the All-Star team five times in 1942, 1950, 1951, 1952 and 1953.
The Yankees retired his number 10 during a ceremony at the Stadium on August 4, 1985 and in an infamous moment, presented him with a “Holy Cow” – a cow with a halo – who knocked Rizzuto to the ground. Thankfully, he was not hurt.
Most people remember Rizzuto, the Yankee broadcaster, who worked in the booth from 1957-1996. Rizzuto was known for his memorable calls and even more memorable flubs. The most notable being the time he introduced himself as Bill White, his broadcasting partner at the time.
Rizzuto was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame by the Veterans Committee in 1994 and after a few years of declining heath, The Scooter passed away on August 13, 2007.
So, what are your favorite memories of the Scooter?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees