Well, that was just an awful loss.
Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but it’s not very pleasant watching the Yankees cough up a lead late in the game and losing in extra innings to a team that has nearly 75% of its roster on the waiting list for Tommy John surgery (Yes, that’s an exaggeration but not that much of one.)
Derek Jeter tied the game in the bottom of the inning to force the game into extras but the Yankees couldn’t score in the tenth and the Jays put one across in the top of eleventh off Derek Lowe - aided by shoddy defense by the Yankees – on the way to winning the game 8-7.
Mark Teixeira injured his left calf and was removed from the game after the fourth inning. Jayson Nix came into the game to play third base and Eric Chavez moved over to first base. And from what Joe Girardi said in the postgame, it looks as though Tex will be out for at least the next five games.
Lost in the shuffle because it turned into a loss was Robinson Cano‘s two home runs tonight off Jays starter Henderson Alvarez - they were his 26th and 27th of the year. Nick Swisher also went deep hitting one off Aaron Laffey who replaced Alvarez after he took a ball off the shin in the fourth inning.
The Yankees were trying to get something going in the bottom of the eleventh when Swisher struck out to end the game. Well, according to Angel Hernandez, Swisher struck out. You judge for yourself:
Was it too close to take? Probably. Swisher probably should have protected the plate better but Hernandez is known for being a terrible umpire and to have the game end on a call like that is extremely frustrating. Almost as frustrating as losing to a team that was 56-70 coming into tonight’s game.
Luckily for the Yankees, the Texas Rangers took care of the Tampa Bay Rays so the Division lead is still four and 1/2 games.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees