There is no other way to say it: This game was terrible. The Yankee offense couldn’t get anything going and whenever they did get people on base, the good ol’ RISP fail reared its ugly head.
Of course, the worst news of the night wasn’t the loss. No, there was something much worse.
In the top of the eighth inning Felix Hernandez was having some control issues. He had plunked Derek Jeter to lead off the inning, threw a wild pitch while Curtis Granderson was up and then followed that up by hitting Alex Rodriguez on his left hand. Rodriguez was taken out of the game, got x-rayed and a non-displaced fracture of his left hand – more specifically, his left pinky is fractured. [insert a long stream of expletives here] So now, he is heading for the disabled list and just as he was starting to hit the ball. [insert another long stream of expletives here]
At the time of this recap there was no definite word on how long Rodriguez will actually be out but early estimates have his time away ranging anywhere from 4-8 weeks.
Well, isn’t that just swell?
So now, all of the people who constantly complained about how bad Alex was and who wanted him designated for assignment are going to find out how much the Yankees actually need him in the lineup. And of all the bad luck. He was finally able to stay healthy this season and a freak accident like this has to happen.
Someone needs to grab Robinson Cano and wrap him in bubble wrap, pronto.
Anyway, back to the game itself. Poor Freddy Garcia gave up three runs early, lasted until there was one out in the bottom of the eighth inning, threw only 89 pitches and has nothing to show for it. And he actually retired the last 15 batters he faced. It wasn’t a bad start at all for him considering the early troubles he had. It was just a tough luck loss for Garcia who is now 4-4 on the year.
Granderson hit his 27th home run of the season in the first inning, putting the Yankees on the board first. They wouldn’t score again until the eighth inning.
And speaking of the eighth inning, the bottom of the frame was definitely not one of Joe Girardi’s finest managing moments. He made four pitching changes which resulted in Seattle scoring an insurance run to put them up 4-2.
His gaffes, in order:
- He took Garcia out too soon.
- He took Clay Rapada out too soon.
- He brought Chad Qualls in who intentionally walked Jesus Montero (Say what now?)
- He brought in Boone Logan whose arm is going to fall off soon.
- And finally brought in Cody Eppley who finally ended the inning.
Now what would have happened if the Yankees had actually tied the game in the top of the ninth, held Seattle scoreless in the bottom of the inning and had forced extra innings?
Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you want to look at it) we didn’t find out.
Hernandez won his ninth game of the season for Seattle and Tom Wilhelmsen picked up his 11th save.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees