Remember when the Yanks couldn’t beat the Angels? Our own newly acquired trade acquisition Stacy Gotsulias (as part of the Eric Shultz deal with RAB) was wondering just that yesterday, and here’s my thoughts on the topic. The Angels manager garnered that monicker from the national media largely by beating what were viewed as vastly superior Yankee teams. But in hindsight, the 02-08 were a far cry from the 95-01 dynasty teams that preceded it. His aggressive style of running the bases was tailor made to attack the Yanks defensive liabilities at Catcher and in the outfield. Since 08, the Yankee overall defense has been much better, bullpen performances have improved and lo and behold ole Mikey doesn’t look as smart as he used to. Some of the credit goes to Cashman for getting the roster younger and more athletic, some to Girardi for his superior bullpen management, and some blame must fall to Torre. Torre played ‘his guys’ regardless of the opposition, and wasn’t one to pore over advanced stats or play match ups. Even Joe Torre’s staunchest defenders would allow he was never a great in-game manager, rather more of a clubhouse guy (whatever that means).
On the mound for the Yanks is RHP Nova facing Angels ace Jared Weaver. The Yanks seem to handle Weaver pretty well, he has a career 4.79 ERA facing the Yankees and a 5.88 ERA at Yankee Stadium. But much of that came before his breakout season in 2011 when he faced the Yanks twice and held them to a 1.88 ERA, both of those games played in Anaheim. Weaver is very much a fly ball pitcher (47.9% career) and that could explain his troubles in YS3. For Nova’s part, for his career he is 3-1 with a 5.11 ERA facing the Angels. Srap yourselves in folks, looks like it could be a bumpy ride this afternoon.
Here’s your lineup, courtesy of LoHud:
1. Jeter SS
2. Granderson CF
3. A-Rod 3B
4. Cano 2B
5. Teixeira 1B
6. Swisher RF
7. Ibanez LF
8. Chavez DH
9. Martin C
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees