First things first both Ivan Nova and Clay Rapada left the game with various injuries. Raul Ibanez also got plunked and exited We’ll keep you posted if anything comes down. Also, David Robertson apparently has a set of sore ribs. When it rains it pours, eh?
As for the game itself, it was pretty back-and-forth. The Orioles struck first in the opening inning, getting a run on a J.J. Hardy single before an out was recorded. Hardy was chased home two batters later by an Adam Jones double. The score stayed 2-0 Baltimore until the top of the fourth. Alex Rodriguez led the inning off with a single to center. The next batter, Robinson Cano, also singled. After a Mark Teixeira groundout, Nick Swisher hit a double of the wall in right center, scoring A-Rod and Cano and tying the game at 2.
The very next inning, the Yankees would keep their momentum rolling. Russell Martin led off with a walk, and the Yankees looked poised to break the game at that point, but Derek Jeter grounded into a double play. Curtis Granderson, however, picked up the slack and hit a long home run to right and put the Yankees on top 3-2. Needing a shutdown inning from starter Ivan Nova, the Yankees got anything but that in the bottom half of the fifth. The first three batters of the inning came not only all reached base, but they all scored. Robert Andino started things off with a walk before scoring on an Xavier Avery triple. J.J. Hardy followed with a two run homer to break the tie and put the Orioles up 5-3. The Orioles seemed to be wrestling momentum back from the Yanks, but it wouldn’t stay that way for long.
In the top of the sixth, the Yankees loaded the bases before recording an out thanks to a Cano double and back-to-back walks by Mark Teixeira and Nick Swisher. Raul Ibanez then hit a ball down the first base line off of the glove of first baseman Chris Davis, who was charged with an error. The error scored Cano and Teixeira, and tied the game at 5.
The combination of Ivan Nova, Clay Rapada, and David Phelps held the O’s scoreless in the 6th, despite a Nick Johnson walk and a Robert Andino infield single. In the top of the seventh, the Yankees took the lead again and wouldn’t give it back for the rest of the game. After an A-Rod single and a Robinson Cano fly out, Mark Teixeira took ex-teammate Luis Ayala‘s pitch over the high wall in right field to give the Yankees a 6-5 lead. They added a run on a sac-fly in the top of the 9th to make it 8-5, the game’s final score.
David Phelps got the win tonight and it was his first Major League win.
Every Yankee starter except Ibanez had a hit tonight. The only Baltimore starters without hits were Nick Johnson and Chris Davis, but Johnson walked twice.
Johnson, Russell Marin, and Nick Swisher all walked twice.
Four of the seven hits Ivan Nova gave up went for extra bases (two doubles, a triple, and a homer).
Jason Hammel gave up four earned runs tonight; he’d given up nine all year before tonight.
Boone Logan now has 24 strikeouts in 15.2 innings (14.21 K/9; 35.29 K%).
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees