I hardly even know where to begin. A lot of me feels that words aren’t exactly necessary right now, but that just won’t do. Something has to be said.
If you asked me about all the ways Mariano Rivera, a man who defied injury and age, could possibly get hurt, this incident wouldn’t have been anywhere close to my list. A shoulder or an elbow pop, sure, those things happen, even to the best. Maybe he planted wrong. Maybe he got hit with a line drive. Maybe he twisted something going to cover a base. But this? What are the chances?
Regardless, I don’t think this is the last of Mariano. He’s always been adamant about going out on his own terms, and I hope that rings true. Mo the player, Mo the person, Mo the icon, should not go out like this. He should go out to thundering applause on a mound after saving a game.
Selfishly, I can’t help but think this is all my fault. Why? Because I’ve written not one, not two, but three articles about what the Yankees would/could/should do without Mariano Rivera. Well, now we’re going to find out. On the field, the Yankees are obviously well equipped to handle this situation, I just didn’t think they’d have to be yet. We already miss you and will continue to do so with every pitch thrown by someone who isn’t you.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees