We’re finally days away from Spring Training. Soon enough, the waiting will be over and we’ll be able to watch REAL LIVE BASEBALL (shameless plug time: if you’re in the NYC metro area, you should totally come to this). But, before we get to that, let’s take another look at some run scoring projections via the Lineup Analysis tool from Baseball Musings. This time, we’ll be using Baseball Prospectus’s PECOTA Projections. Remember, these are NOT split adjusted. I’ll run it a few times, using a few different scenarios for the designated hitter. And with the first run of each one, I’ll be sure to plug in what the lineup probably will be, not what I think it should be. To the after-jump we go.
Scenario 1: Russell Branyan as the DH
Derek Jeter (.348 OBP./.382 SLG)
Curtis Granderson (.341/.481)
Mark Teixeira (.369/.503)
Alex Rodriguez (.370/.509…love this projection)
Robinson Cano (.342/.482…a little light)
Nick Swisher (.357/.449)
Russell Branyan (.328/.472)
Russell Martin (.361/.401)
Brett Gardner (.353/.368)
That lineup would score 5.444 runs per game, which translates to about 882 runs over a full season. The best configuration of these players would be: Martin/Rodriguez/Swisher/Cano/Tex/Branyan/Gradnerson/Jeter/Gardner. That would amount to 5.511 runs per game, about 893 in a full year.
Our second scenario will assume Andruw Jones (.317/.412) as the full time DH (which he, nor Branyan for that matter, likely wouldn’t be. Remember, these projections are NOT split adjusted). Using Jones in the 7th spot nets us 5.357 runs per game, 868 over the full season, a little off the Branyan pace. The best configuration of a Jones-inclusive lineup would be: Martin/Tex/Gardner/Rodriguez/Swisher/Cano/Jones/Jeter, which would mean 5.443 R/G (882 per 162).
Our last two scenarios are the ones that are most likely. These ones include Johnny Damon (.328/.383) and Raul Ibanez (.315/.424) as the DHs, batting out of the 7th spot. Using Damon, we get a result of 5.340 R/G (866). The best lineup with Damon in it (5.432 R/G, 880 runs) would be: Martin/Tex/Gardner/Rodriguez/Swisher/Granderson/Cano/Damon/Jeter.
If we use Ibanez, we get 5.368 runs per game (870 per season). The best Ibanez-inclusive lineup (5.450/883) would be: Martin/Tex/Gardner/Rodriguez/Swisher/Granderson/Cano/Ibanez/Jeter.
Funny in that three out of the four “best” lineups, Jeter’s batting ninth. Anyway, that’s neither here nor there because it seems like no matter what, the Yankees are going to score their runs, and we could argue that these are pessimistic because this doesn’t assume splits.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees