The Yankees signed Bill Hall to a minor league deal Tuesday and he was quite excited about it. It’s a minor league deal, so let’s remember that there is absolutely no risk involved here. If he doesn’t perform well enough in Spring Training, he can be cut with no repercussions. Let’s pretend for a second, though, that he plays well enough to make the team out of camp and goes north with the Bombers. Where could he fit in?
Despite not hitting very well against LHP in the last few years (54, 77, 77 wRC+ vs LHP from 2009-11), I’m sure he’ll get chances against lefties. But where? Hall played mostly at second last year and that’s obviously not going to happen. Per UZR and DRS, SS and 3B are the only places where he’s not a defensive liability, but he’s not going to play short and didn’t play any 3B last year. In 2011, he only logged four innings away from 2B. He’s going to be rusty at just about any position, but he can at least take up space somewhere. My first thought would be that against lefties, he could play third while Alex Rodriguez DHs and Andruw Jones mans left field. I considered Hall in left and Jones at DH, but that doesn’t make much sense; Hall isn’t a good left fielder and Jones is.
The more I think about it, the less I think Bill Hall is actually going to make this team. While he’s certainly not useless, I’m not sure how long he’d stick around. I’m assuming he’ll end up in the Angel Berroa circa 2009 role: he’ll stick around for a little bit, then get cut before you know it. So, welcome aboard, Bill; good luck in Spring Training.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees