Chris over at Beyond the Box Score introduced the All-True Dodgers team, comprised of players who played their entire career with the Dodgers, determined by WAR. My first reaction looking at the team was, “Not bad, decent pitching staff, but the Yankees would hose them.”
What would an all true Yankee team look like?
C Billy Dickey
1b Lou Gehrig
2b Robinson Cano (Tony Lazzeri played a few games outside the organization)
SS Derek Jeter
3b Gil McDougald
LF Joe DiMaggio
CF Mickey Mantle
RF Bernie Williams
DH Don Mattingly
BN Phil Rizzuto
BN Roy White
BN Jorge Posada
BN Elston Howard
BN Earle Combs
SP Whitey Ford
SP Ron Guidry
SP Mel Stottlemeyer
RP Mariano Rivera
RP David Robertson
I don’t know about you, but I’m blanking on filling the remaining pitching slots. I don’t want to start slotting in the Ivan Nova’s and Joba Chamberlains of the world. Who would you put into those remaining pitching slots? Dig deep back into Yankee history.
Its a fun exercise. The Yankees have such a storied history, but those stories are heavily weighed toward the offensive side of things. It’s pretty amazing that after 27 World Championships, a relief pitcher named Mariano Rivera has the highest WAR of any Yankee pitcher.
Just imagine the lineup: Jeter-Mantle-DiMaggio-Gehrig-Mattingly-Berra-Williams-Cano-McDonald. Sick. Can anyone think of any team that comes even close?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees