For this afternoon’s pitching match up, you couldn’t have a more stark contrast in styles in the opposing pitchers. Max Scherzer is one of the great young arms in baseball who features a mid-90s fastball and a devastating change up, one that when its working makes facing him almost unfair. Freddy Garcia is 34 years old, has the right shoulder of a someone twice his age, and sits in the mid-80s with his ‘heater’. And you know what? They pitched to a virtually identical results for the season, with Scherzer at 4.14 FIP and Freddy at 4.12 FIP. Everyone gets seduced by the guys with the big fastballs, and all that steady Freddy Garcia does is get people out. Scherzer has been prone to the long ball and much better at home than on the road, as Chad Jennings of LoHud pointed out this morning. Max was supposed to pitch Game 3 at Comerica, but the Friday rain out forced a change of plans. As I posted yesterday, when we look back at this series that Friday rainstorm may very well have been the turning point.
In other news, my question from this morning has been answered. CC will be going in Game 3 and Burnett Game 4. Personally, I think that’s a mistake if the Yanks win today. I like creating the Game 4 mismatch instead of two games where the Tigers will be slight favorites. Here’s your lineup, courtesy of Yankee PR:
Derek Jeter SS
Curtis Granderson CF
Robinson Cano 2B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Mark Teixeira 1B
Nick Swisher RF
Jorge Posada DH
Russell Martin C
Brett Gardner LF
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees