Mark Teixeira‘s freakishly low BABIP this year has been something I’ve covered a few times. His tendency to be ridiculously pull happy is something that William has covered extensively. Yesterday at the Hardball Times, Josh Weinstock combined both issues.
You can click through for the specifics–and some really awesome images–but the gist is something that combines the thinking William and I have had: Tex may be having a little bit of bad luck, but his left-handed hitting approach is suffering from trying to pull too many outside pitches.
If we look at Tex’s splits for the 2011 season, we can see this anecdotal problem fleshed out in real numbers. To his pull field overall, Tex sports a .512/229 wOBA/wRC+. To center, it’s .296/81. To the opposite field, it’s .174/-2. The problem, though, is much worse from the left side.
As a right handed hitter, Tex is wOBAing (and wRC+ing) .517 (.233)/.319 (97) /.355 (122) to his pull/center/opposite fields. When we look at Tex’s left handed side, we get .509 (.227)/.282 (72)/.071 (-72) to pull/center/right.
I’m not going to complain about Tex too much because despite his propensity to pull, he’s still productive. However, this is an issue that needs at least some addressing in the offseason. He’s either got to start laying off more outside pitches to avoid rolling over on them or work with Kevin Long to at least try and go the other way more than once in a blue moon.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees