Jesus Montero, the prospect we’ve all been salivating over for years now, finally makes his major league debut tonight. It’s easy to scoff at and write off as extremely nerdy exuberance, but I think the excitement level has reached 9am Christmas morning for many of us around here. Of course it is extremely nerdy exuberance. The monthly Montero posts have probably been written at a 5-10 post pace for a long while now. Let’s try and picture this another way.
Imagine you’re 8 years old again and you’re told that in 3 years, you’ll be receiving the Ninja Turtle Sewer Playset with all the accessories and even a coveted April O’Neill action figure that your mom had to wait on line for at 6 in the morning. Literally for YEARS you hear about how great this playset is. You hear there’s a punching bag for Rafael. There’s a periscope disguised as a fire hydrant for the turtles to scan the area. There are even climbable telephone poles and a working trap door elevator into the lair. You cannot wait to get your hands on this thing.
And yet you wait. And wait and wait and wait. Then finally, it’s Christmas Eve, you’re in your Michelangelo onesie and eyeing packages suspiciously wondering which is the gift you covet most. The next morning you wait in your bed, staring at the clock, begging for the minutes to melt away towards an acceptable hour to wake up and tear through that wrapping paper.
That is where we’re at right now. Waiting for that clock to tick down, waiting for Montero, waiting for the sewer playset. We’re all hoping it’s as good as advertised. If it turns out your parents mistakenly just got you the turtle van and ignored your hopes and dreams altogether, you’re going to scream, rip down the Christmas lights, knock the tree over and throw that van through the fucking window. It’s not going to happen of course. It can’t happen. No, no, the sewer set will be there, just as advertised. It’s under that tree somewhere and hopefully it’s just as great s you’ve been imagining.
After awhile though, it’ll be onto the next big thing. Manny Banuelos waits in AAA much like somewhere in a toy store, the Technodrome waits to meet our greedy little hands next Christmas. It’ll have a holding cell, an eyeball lookout periscope, a Brain action figure and it will be glorious as well.
So today finally is the big day. We’ll get to see Jesus Montero in a Yankee uniform, something we’ve been imagining for years now. It’s very understandable people are excited. Inevitably, as with anything related to the Yankees, I’m sure some expectations are too high. Honestly I don’t care at all how everyone else will react or not react to Montero today. I just know that I’m excited, I’m happy for him and that’s all that matters to me.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees