Today’s rare 1:00 start is a result of today’s contest facing the Twins being a make up of the April 6th rain out. Afternoon games are usually reserved for getaway days at the end of a series, but this is a getaway day (for the Twins) with this being one game set. For their part, the Twins have had a difficult season that just seems to worse and worse every day. They’re 59-92 on the year, 29 games out in the Central division and seemingly everything that could have gone wrong this year, has. Their pitching has been a mess, Mauer and Morneau have missed significant time due to injury, and to putting the finishing touch on their lost 2011 season they’re 2-13 for the month of September. They’re not even traveling with a full team for today’s game, opting to give them a day off. Missing will be most of their starting rotation, Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Tsuyoshi Nishioka and others. The club is also dealing with a flu bug that has hit six players including Danny Valencia and Rene Tosoni.
The Twins lineup for this afternoon’s game will be interesting, to say the least. Girardi may want to sit a few guys just to keep things close enough for Mo to get number 602, though when AJ Burnett is off his game I’m sure a little league team could score 5 runs off of him. For those who are wondering, it sounds like Jorge Posada will not be catching the 9th inning, which is the right move. If its a save situation, then the game is already close. If Jorge (who’s caught 1 game all year) was to be behind the plate and allow base runners to advance or have a pitch go through his legs with a man on 3rd, then everyone will justifiably be killing Girardi for letting sentimentality come before making the right baseball decision. Especially given that they haven’t clinched a playoff spot yet, and look at what’s happening right now to the Red Sox and Braves, both of whom thought they had safe leads a week ago. Never forget, Bill Buckner was playing 1B in the 9th inning of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series as a reward for all he’d done as a Red Sox, despite the fact he was hobbled with an injury. This isn’t the WS, but decisions like that tend to blow up in your face.
Here’s your lineup, courtesy of LoHud:
1. Jeter SS
2. Granderson CF
3. Teixeira 1B
4. Rodriguez 3B
5. Cano 2B
6. Swisher RF
7. Jones LF
8. Montero DH
9. Martin C
I posted the picture above because Regis Philbin is throwing out today’s first pitch, which sounds like good luck to me. AJ Burnett on the mound for the Yankees facing Scott Diamond of the Twins. GO YANKS!!!!!!
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Christina on Game Thread: Angels versus Yankees, Saturday July 14th
- walkfit platinum reviews on The TYA staff on the Yankees’ television and radio broadcast teams
- essentialtexting.com on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- www25.tok2.com on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- グッチ 財布 on Sunday Links-Joba’s Timetable, Comparing eras, Pineda
- raspberry ketone diet 1200 on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- Free riot codes on Off-Topic
- Fran on The Great Subway Race
- sleeping bag hand Orientation on What about Austin Romine?
- camping stove heat diffuser on What about Austin Romine?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees