-I know many folks are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Jesus Montero. Buster Olney speculated about it this morning. Martin and Cervelli haven’t hit much as Catchers, neither has Posada as the DH. Seems like there’s an obvious fit in terms of need. But when you look at the 25 roster, you quickly realize why he’s not here. As things stand now with the 6 man rotation they’re carrying 13 pitchers and only 3 bench players in Nunez, Cervelli and Jones. That’s the bare minimum a manager can have, it often ties his hands in late inning situations. We recently saw Cervelli playing the infield because of this lack of depth. Cervelli has become CC’s personal Catcher, and with the year CC’s having that pairing will not be undone, particularly not for someone with suspect catching skills. Brian Cashman was recently interviewed and said that he thinks the reason why his pitching staff has been so good this year is in part due to having two fine defensive catchers on his roster. The only way to get Montero here is to cut Posada, and with a few weeks to go until the rosters expand I think they’ll avoid the ugliness that move will certainly cause. I don’t see it happening September 1st, but fully expect to see Jesus and Manny Banny called at that point. I would also caution fans to temper their expectations. Many hitters struggle in their initial call up to the show. Rookie pitchers often have an edge since MLB hitters haven’t seen them before. Hitters find themselves facing much higher level of pitcher much more often. Once in a while you get a Kevin Maas or Shane Spencer, but they’re the exceptions.
-Must read column by Joel Sherman this morning. Cashman lieutenant Gordon Blakley explains why the team chose to stand pat at this year’s trade deadline. I was opposed to this strategy, but he makes a compelling case as to why they chose the direction they did. Wherever you stood on the topic, give it a look. Here’s a taste:
“We had a lot of people see Jimenez, we had as much coverage on him as anybody,” Blakeley said. “We had a conference call with our entire pro scouting staff. We’ve always liked him, but he is not as good as the first half last year. And my personal feeling is Ivan Nova is as good as this version of Jimenez. He has a better fastball, a better curveball, a better slider, a better changeup, he is cheaper, he has won nine games [he won his 10th on Thursday after this conversation] in New York and in the American League East. I am not sure Jimenez can do that.
-Derek Jeter sure looks like the player we all knew and loved since coming off the DL on July4th. He went on the DL with a strained quad on June 14 hitting .260/.324/.324. Since then he’s 34-106 (.320) with a.358 OBP.
-This is a fun read. A former batboy gives us a peek inside the Yankee clubhouse from 1998-2005. Some of these are stories we’ve heard elsewhere, others aren’t. But I always enjoy pieces that show the personalities and human side of the players we watch on a daily basis.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees