As we all wake up from one of the most over hyped weather events in the history of New York City, the Yanks find themselves two games in back of the division leading Red Sox. They’re tied in the loss column, but 4 games back in terms of wins. They have an excellent chance to pick up two of them today, with
anyone but AJ pitching Bartolo Colon going in the 1:00 game (660 WFAN radio/YES) facing lefty Zach Britton (7-9 4.54 ERA). The evening contest features Ivan Nova facing the struggling Brian Matusz (1-6 8.92) going for the birds. As bad as his overall season has been, Matusz has been even worse since coming off the disabled list on August 15, allowing 11 earned runs over 10.2 innings pitched.
In Game 1, you’re going to hear a lot being made of Derek Jeter passing Mickey Mantle on the Yankee franchise list for games played. Anytime you pass a name like Mickey Mantle its noteworthy, but I have to add that the Mick was always hurt, and retired at a relatively young baseball age (36) due to all the injuries piling up. So it sounds like a big deal, but it really isn’t. Mantle’s claim to fame wasn’t staying healthy, it was how prolific a slugger he was when he did manage to play. Though I’m sure that won’t stop the various Yankee radio and television broadcasters from acting like Derek has just won the Nobel Prize for baseball.
Here’ your lineups for game 1, courtesy of LoHud:
Derek Jeter DH
Curtis Granderson CF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Robinson Cano 2B
Nick Swisher RF
Andruw Jones LF
Eduardo Nunez SS
Francisco Cervelli C
It’s going to be a long day of baseball, so sit back and settle in. I have to think the lineup will be pretty similar for the night game, since a lefty is going for the O’s on both ends of the doubleheader. The one switch will likely be Jeter at SS instead of DH, with A-Rod at DH and Nunez at 3B. But we’ll have to wait a few hours to see what Joe does. GO YANKS!!!!!!!
EDIT-No Alex at DH for game 2. Here’s the updated lineup:
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees