Raise your hand if you thought Luis Ayala would still be on the team in July. Put your damn hand down, you liar.
Let’s laugh all we want now at our former selves. Were we ever wrong about this or what? The Yankees have gotten great production out of each one of those guys–not to mention Cory Wade–so let’s use this thread to appreciate Brian Cashman’s great work in signing these so called has-beens.
(All stats current as of the beginning of last night’s game)
Russell Martin was unceremoniously non-tendered by the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Yankees and Red Sox competed for his services. Luckily, the Yankees won out. He started the year on an incredible hot streak and hit .293/.376/.587/.963. Since then, he’s cooled off considerably (.201/.309/.287/.596) but he’s still provided good defense behind the plate and has reportedly helped the pitching staff considerably.
Colon and Garcia, as mentioned, have combined for 35 starts thus far and have a collective ERA of 3.26 and a collective FIP of 3.61 while striking out 7.08 per nine while walking just 2.51 per nine (2.83 K/BB). They’ve combined for 4.7 bWAR and 4.5 fWAR. This is just…awesome. The Yankees have gotten a fantastic return on their investments in Colon and Garcia.
Luis Ayala has done a great job with control (2.76 BB/9) while keeping the ball in the park (0.28 HR/9) which has led to a 3.24 FIP (80 FIP-) and a 3.84 xFIP (98 xFIP-) despite limited strikeout numbers (6.06 K/9). All told, Ayala and his 1.65 ERA have been worth 1.1 bWAR and 0.4 fWAR in 32.2 IP. Cory Wade has a nice shiny 2.08 ERA to go along with a 3.69 FIP (91 FIP-) and 3.48 xFIP (88 xFIP-). The former Dodger has been worth 0.1 fWAR and 0.4 bWAR, though those low totals are due to the fact that he’s pitched fewer than 20 innings.
Eric Chavez, who added a two-run homer and a two-run single last night, has been great when he’s been on the field. His fielding looks smooth, like it always did, and his swing has looked fine. He did miss time with a foot injury, but there’s been nothing wrong with his performance.
As for Andruw Jones, I couldn’t be happier with him. It seems that a lot of people want to rip on this dude every time he makes an out, but he was brought to New York to hit lefties. Guess what he’s done? He’s destroyed left handed pitching. His line against lefties is .259/.344/.506/.850 (.247 IsoP, .371 wOBA). Keep on keeping on, Andruw.
The Yankees get a lot of attention for the way the dole out big contracts, but the biggest non-CC Sabathia contributions they’ve gotten on the mound have come from two guys picked out of the bargain bin. Their lefty mashing bat is a supposed-to-be-washed up veteran. Brian Cashman did a great job filling in the holes in the Yankee roster before the season started, and for that, he should be applauded many, many times over.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees