The Yanks topped the Rays 5-4 in a see-saw match on Saturday afternoon, and while the win was of utmost importance for a team that had flailed about for much of the past week, Derek Jeter‘s 3,000th hit — a game-tying solo home run off David Price — was undoubtedly the star of the show.
A.J. Burnett went 5 2/3 innings, giving up three runs and striking out a season-high nine, though the Rays would tie the game off of David Robertson in the top of the eighth. Thankfully Robertson was able to hold on, Jeter hit the go-ahead RBI single in the bottom of the eighth, and the ball was handed off to Mariano Rivera in the ninth for his 22nd save.
In what could only be described as a storybook day, Jeter ended up going 5-5 and knocked in two runs. The only other multi-hit day was recorded by Mark Teixeira. I’ve been intensely critical of Jeter for the past year and a half, but I’m happy to remove my statistician dubiousness for today in honor of this momentous occasion and tip my cap to Jeter on becoming the first Yankee in franchise history to not only achieve this remarkable feat, but do it in the most stylish way possible.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees