This was a frustrating loss. Just one day after the Yankee bats exploded for 17 runs, the Bomber offense fell silent, unable to come up with big hits with runners in scoring position. Rich Harden took a vacation from the DL to pitch 5.1 innings of two run ball, which isn’t good, but A.J. Burnett was no better, giving up three runs in 5.2 innings of work.
Derek Jeter had a strong day, going three for four with a double. Robinson Cano also looked good with the lumber, going two for five with a two-bagger of his own. To the extent there was an offensive highlight for the Yankees, it came off Nick Swisher‘s bat. Swisher hit a booming homer to right field that bounced off the front wall of the upper deck. While the Yankees had nine hits on the day, the team only had those three extra base hits.
The Yankees were in it right to the end. With one out in the bottom of the ninth and the Yankees down by two, Mark Teixeira came up with runners on second and third. He hit a sacrifice fly to bring Cano to the plate with the tying run just ninety feet away. Cano tried to call time before Oakland closer Andrew Bailey delivered his third pitch, a high breaking ball. Robbie wasn’t granted time, and took a weak hack at the pitch, putting a slow roller to the third baseman for the final out of an annoying loss.
Gio Gonzalez faces off against Bartolo Colon in tomorrow’s rubber match. Game time is at 1:05 pm. It goes without saying, but I’m frustrated so I’ll say it anyway: Sunday’s game feels like an important one for the Yankees. With three weak teams coming into the Bronx for the next eight games the Y
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees