The Bombers look to continue to their offensive onslaught during today’s matinee matchup against the Texas Rangers. Since being swept by the Red Sox last week, the Yanks have gone 5-1 with the lone loss coming against the Tribe’s Carlos Carrasco. Some noteworthy storylines to keep in mind today are:
- According to ESB, Mark Teixeira and Curtis Granderson joined two other legendary Yankee tandems (Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in 1927, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris in 1961) after each mashed 20 or more homeruns in just 66 games. Not to shabby boys!
- Russell Martin, Robinson Cano, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter each lead their respective positions in Allstar popularity voting. Mark Teixeira trails only Adrian Gonzalez while Curtis Granderson trails only Jose Bautista in their spots. Honorable mention has to go Jorge Posada, who is third in voting for DH. Hehe, don’t hate.
- The team remains Derek Jeter-less (day three of his DL stint – recovering from a calve strain). Per Michael Kay on Nunez’s defense in contrast to Jeter’s, “Say what you want about Jeter. When the ball is hit to him, he’ll catch it. He may not make the play up the middle, but he will catch balls hit right to him.” Yep.
- Cory Wade was signed to a big league deal and is officially a member of the Yankee bullpen. Who needs Rafael Soriano or Joba Chamberlain anyway, right? Right?
- Brian Gordon will be making his pinstripe debut this afternoon. Hector Noesi will presumably head back to the bullpen. Meanwhile, Ivan Nova has probably earned himself another start or two. Meh.
- Pants Lendleton Lance Pendleton was demoted to make room on the roster. We hardly knew ye…
- Eduardo Núñez enjoyed his 24th birthday yesterday by hitting his second homerun of the season. Said Nunez, “I’m so happy. It’s my birthday and I hit a home run.” So much happiness…
- Ramiro Peña also mashed his first homerun of the season last night. Said Pena, “I got a good pitch to hit and thank God, I got it. …It was a good day. When I hit it, I knew I hit that one good.” With that, Pena has officially earned the nickname, “The Dirty Peña.” You’ve heard it here first, folks.
- After several days of lingering back pain, Martin has made his return to the lineup. Nice!
- Alex Rodriguez is not in the lineup today after DHing yesterday (status unknown). Brett Gardner is also out of the lineup for the second consecutive game in favor of Andruw Jones.
- And last but not probably least, the good news is whatever Cervelli has been lacking in offensive or defensive ability, he more than makes up in PAR (+4.4 Passion above Replacement). “You’ve got to play baseball,” Cervelli explained. “Home plate is my house. You’ve got to take everything.” *Fist Pump*
Here’s today’s open thread. Props go out to you if you’ve managed to find a way to follow the game despite that small inconvenience otherwise known as work. Have at it!
1. Nick Swisher RF
2. Curtis Granderson CF
3. Mark Teixeira 1B
4. Robinson Cano 2B
5. Andruw Jones LF
6. Jorge Posada DH
7. Russell Martin C
8. Eduardo Nunez SS
9. Ramiro Pena 3B
And on the bump:
Brian Gordon RHP
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees