Frankie Piliere yesterday revealed on Twitter some rumors concerning the Yankees and the draft. Here’s the skinny, straight from the man himself:
“Large amount of NYY draft buzz this yr. Hearing Yanks are also heavily in on Dillon Howard & Brandon Martin @ 51. Howard asking big $….So for those of you keeping score at home that’s Goeddel, Cave, Martin, Howard…4 prep players heavily linked to the Yankees now #MLBDraft….”
The mentioned names are Dillon Howard, Brandon Martin, Tyler Goeddel and Jake Cave. Here are some quick reports on them:
Dillion Howard, RHP, Ark HS
Howard has been the top prospect in Arkansas all year and has a chance to be the highest prep player ever from the state. He’s got a good build at 6’3”, 210 and is an impressive athlete. He has a solid history of performance and has been on prospect radars for some time now. Howard features a four seam fastball, a two seam fastball, a changeup and a curve ball from a low ¾ arm slot. In terms of velocity, he sits in the low 90s and there’s a report he hit 98 during a summer league game. When he’s at his best, his changeup is his best pitch, with great arm action and sink. He has surprising polish on his secondary offerings for a prep prospect. His senior year though hasn’t been as dominant as some scouts had expected. He has a commitment to the University of Arkansas although he should get drafted early enough to keep him away from school.
Brandon Martin, SS, Ca HS
Martin has been a much discussed middle infield prospect this year because he’s showing some pop with his bat that have some scouts excited. Primarily a glove first SS, Martin has good range, an above average arm and good hands. He displays some ability to get on base and can hit for average. Scouts who have seen him this year see a little more pop than they initially expected. He’s got average speed but nothing to get very excited about. At 5’11”, 170 pop may not translate into power, although he does everything else very well.
Tyler Goeddel, OF, Ca HS
Here’s what I wrote about Goeddel in my OF Watch last week: Tyler Goeddel, Mountain View HS, CA- Has a very projectable frame (6’4”, 170) with good speed and an above average athlete. Plays 3B but scouts project him as a CF with his plus arm. A bit raw but has good tools at the plate, with a quick swing that stays in the zone for a long time. Power is all projection at this point but given his frame, it’s easier to forecast in the future.
As for Jake Cave, a LH prep pitcher out of Virginia, Baseball America has him as a 5-6th round prospect and I can’t find good info on him at the moment. I’ll update this post as soon as I do though.
Obviously the link here is that all 4 are prep players who should be commanding a decent chunk of change. Goeddel and Martin are up the middle athletes, raw and show a lot of promise. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees