Alex Rodriguez hit two home runs off James Shields, and the Yankee offense finally broke through the five-run ceiling it had been operating under for much of the last few weeks, beating the Rays 6-2 to snap a six-game losing streak.
Ivan Nova was decent, only giving up one run — a solo shot to Elliot Johnson — but he didn’t give the team length, departing after 5.1 innings. David Robertson came on in relief of Nova and managed to escape a bases loaded one-out jam for seemingly the thousandth time in his short career. Robertson and Joba were able to combine to toss up a couple of zeroes, until Amaury Sanit came on in the ninth with the Yanks up by five. After a Ben Zobrist RBI double, Joe Girardi needlessly called on Mariano Rivera to record the final out with a four-run lead, and that was the ballgame.
I know the Yankees were in desperate need of a win, but sheesh, if Joe can’t trust whoever was left in the bullpen to record one measly out,who can he trust? At least Mariano hasn’t exactly been overworked of late, but still, it seems silly to deploy those bullets unless you absolutely require them.
And so the Yankees finally put the losing to an end, although they’ll have their work cut out tonight in Baltimore against Zach Britton, who’s not only awesome, but who they’ve also never faced. We all know how that usually goes for our beloved Bombers.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees