1. It’s still early, but I think now is the time you start to get a little concerned if you’re team is really tanking. Buster Olney today has a piece about the Mariners possibly being early sellers and of course speculates on if Felix Hernandez could be traded. A trade for Felix would be massive obviously. It would certainly cut the heart out of the Yankees farm system, which is obvious. Would you do this? I would because Felix isn’t a 30 something pitcher with his best years behind him- he’s 24 years old. I would not be in favor of trading that same bucket of prospects for a Cliff Lee for example.
2. The last time the Knicks were in the playoffs, exactly 7 years ago today, they lost to the Nets 83-107 on the way to getting swept in the first round. The same day the Yankees lost to the Red Sox on a Saturday afternoon game, 5-2. Curt Shilling got the victory, striking out 8 in 6 innings. Tony Clark hit a HR for the Yankees and Pokey Reese played SS for the Red Sox. Some dude named Donovan Osborne ( I’m not making that up) relieved Mike Mussina after 5 innings. I’ll never figure out how the 2004 Yankees won 101 games that year.
3. Moshe brings up a good point about bullpen usage in the early post today. Simply put, the Yankees have gone to the pen a lot more often because their starting pitching hasn’t been very good. I kind of like what Girardi has been doing though. Let’s face it- the rotation is not very good right now. He’s been yanking the starters pretty early on which has led to the high bullpen usage. The Yankees have several long reliever candidates in AAA so if this is how the rotation is going to look for awhile (which it most likely is) than I think this is a good way to operate.
4. Speaking of the rotation- Yikes. It’s tough to feel good about it when you can say you only have real confidence in one pitcher. AJ Burnett is pitching well so far but it’s tough to have total confidence in him. Ivan Nova is a young pitcher suited for a 4/5 slot in the rotation- he can look very good and at times like a 24 year old with 56 career major league innings. Which of course he is. Freddie Garcia and Bartolo Colon, well it’s tough to expect a ton out of them. Colon I think has shown some good stuff early this year. Hopefully the Yankee offense can continue scoring runs to support the rotation.
5. I’m a big Brett Gardner supporter, but he’s off to an almost remarkably bad start. That said, he’s still not even the worst LF in the AL East right now- that would be a Mr. Carl Crawford (.137/.185/.157/Yikes). I guess Andrew Jones is the best solution if the Yankees can’t get Gardner going anytime soon.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees