Loads of stuff to get to this week, so lets jump right in:
-Joba was throwing 96 MPH this spring. For the past few seasons, Joba has always been a guy who gains velocity as the seasons progresses. Could we see 98-100 MPH heat this summer? Maybe. I don’t want to get too far ahead with this, but Brian Cashman said last winter the rationale for leaving Joba in the bullpen was that his stuff had never been the same since the 08 shoulder injury. If his stuff is back, and Freddy Garcia isn’t cutting it as your #5, let me just say that rationale would no longer exist.
-For what it’s worth, Buster Olney took Ivan Nova for his AL ROY pick.
-A RIVAL SCOUT SIZES UP THE YANKEES-An interesting feature on SI.com where an unnamed scout sizes up the strengths and weaknesses of notable players on a given team. He says the book on Jeter is that he is more prone than ever to being busted inside, but is also smart enough that you can’t do it too much. Like everyone else he loves Montero’s bat, but says “I’ve never been a big fan of Jesus Montero; he seems lazy, but the tools are there.” Which by my count is the 4th time I’ve heard someone either inside or outside the Yankee organization say that or something similar about Montero. It should be noted similar things have been said about Manny Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera, who are among the best hitters in Baseball. Ted Williams famously never cared a wit about playing defense either, saying hitting was where “the big money is”. The scout also lavishes praise on Alex, and touches on the mechanical issues Burnett had last year.
-If you’re going to Yankee Stadium anytime this year, make sure you get there early and check out the Yankee Stadium Museum Ring Exhibition. They have 26 rings (and a pocket watch) from all 27 Yankee championships on display, which is a real treat. Museum is located on the second level, right next to the escalator at Gate 6.
@Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
–Mets outfielder Mike Cameron, after teammate Carlos Beltran lost a ball in the sun against the Dodgers (New York Daily News)
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees