That’s what Yankee manager Joe Girardi said last night about Brett Gardner’s HR after Russell Martin was hit by a Josh Rupe pitch. When you start giving up HRs to the Brett Gardner’s of the world, you might want to call your uncle with the plumbing business and tell him to leave a job open for you. There’s a good chance you’ll need it. Here’s what O’s manager Buck Showalter had to say about the incident from last night:
Buck Showalter: “We asked (Rupe) after the game. He said, ‘I know what it looked like. I was trying to go in.’ It did not look good. I didn’t like it at all. But I choose to believe my pitcher and I’ve known Josh for a long time. I think he’d be very straight with me. But I do understand what it looked like and it didn’t look good. Martin had a great night tonight. He’s had a good season for them, was a great pickup. He’s hard enough to get out without the way it looked. They responded the way good teams do. That’s why they’re as good a team as they are and are going to be. That’s a good example of it.”
Hopefully, this ends right here. The Yanks made their statement on the field with their resounding 15-3 win last night. The last thing we need is for Camden Yards to turn into a scene from one of the local McDonald’s restaurants. It might make some fans happy, but the Yanks have more to lose than the O’s do. The Yankee prize is in October, not April.
With that out of the way, here’s your game thread for this afternoon’s contest. Freddy Garcia goes for the Yanks with Jake Arrieta pitching for the Birds. The Yanks just saw Arrieta a week ago, which typically is bad news for the pitcher. But Garcia won’t be pitching in the cold, rainy conditions that favored him last week in Yankee stadium. Game time temp is a balmy 74 degrees going up to 83 this afternoon. Strap yourselves in folks, this could be a bumpy ride.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees