Rough game today, huh? Not the way the Yankees drew up Phil Hughes first start of the year no doubt. Here are some thoughts for discussion/open thread:
1. I found this whole Brian Cashman v. New York Mets thing to be pretty amusing. I was a little baffled why Cashman would have opened his mouth about it at all since it just makes him seem like an idiot. If you KNEW he was too broken, why sign him at all? Moshe makes a good point, that the Yankees have a little flexibility to take on additional risk. No one would deny the Mets overused Feliciano. Dan Warthen’s claim that Feliciano “wanted to pitch every day” doesn’t mean that’s actually a good idea. I have never met or heard of a player ask for less playing time. Cashman is smarter than to open his mouth on this, so I’m confused as to why he promptly inserted his foot into it. Theories?
2. The world beater Orioles swept away the Rays this weekend. Now usually I’m pretty accustomed to how things work in this department. The Orioles always seemingly get off to a good start and that also seems to happen against the Yankees a lot. I doubt many people would seriously predict that the O’s were winning the division this year. However, one of these years, with the improvements they’ve been making and with the young talent they’ve assembled, the O’s are going to stick. I don’t think it’s going to be this year though. Watching Zach Britton today reminded me again that they ARE coming.
3. These, first series of the year, narratives kill me. Winning two games in a series is not “getting off to a hot start” in baseball. Pretty much the entire month of April is the “start”, so I won’t be buying into any of the following headlines:
“Toronto on a roll!”
“Miracle Mets are Back!”
“Red Sox flop reveals serious concerns”
“Yankees the clear class of baseball”
It’s a real long season folks, so let’s not get too carried away just yet.
4. Two minor league things you should all be aware of. First and most excitingly (for me anyhow) Minor League Splits is back (kind of). They’ll be rolling out some more features under some new owners and get that important tool back pretty soon. Additionally, Josh Norris of the Trentonian is in Florida following some of the minor league spring training games. You can follow his updates on twitter or read his stuff here.
5. Finally, I thought Peter Gammons had a really good piece today about the importance of multi position players in today’s game. This is something I totally agree with. We know that the Yankees have been developing many of their position prospects to play at multiple spots. Gammons mentions Martin Prado and Ben Zobrist as every day players who are similarly versatile in the field. It certainly gives teams a lot more flexibility and better prepares them to respond to injuries during the season. I’m sure we’ll be seeing more Yankee prospects follow this path.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees