Yankee fans are all too familiar with teams of recent vintage entering a given season with a fairly lackluster bench, only to upgrade midseason. With the positive spring performances of Eric Chavez, Eduardo Nunez and Andruw Jones, I got to thinking whether this would be the deepest bench the Yankees were to start a season off with in some time.
I don’t have the time to dig back through every season in team history, nor am I interested in doing so, but if we go back for the last five years, taking a look at the presumed 2011 bench’s 2011 CAIRO projections compared to the actual numbers for the four men who (I’m pretty certain) started the year on the bench for the Yankees, it’s really no contest:
And I actually think the CAIRO projections may be a tad low for each of Jones, Chavez and Nunez. While it’s certainly possible that Chavez falls flat on his face, Jones seems likes a decent enough bet to exceed that .317 wOBA, and Nunez has shown signs of life thus far this spring that he may have stepped his hitting game up.
Even if all four men in contention for the bench wind up with wOBAs in the low .300s it’ll still likely be the strongest collective backup unit the Yankees will have fielded in some time. And while this has zero bearing on anything, this is probably one of the only times the Yankees will have ever compiled a bench unit with a combined career fWAR surpassing 100.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees