(Photo from Daylife.com)
This post was written at about 10:00 last night. I have no clue whether the Yankees have won or not, though I’m sure they will have won by the time this goes up.
Opening Day. Play ball. Play meaningful ball. It’s about damn time, isn’t it? We can’t help that there has to be an offseason. We can’t help how fast the time between the last out of the World Series and the first pitch of Opening Day travels. We can’t even help how dull the middle of Spring Training gets or how cold the Hot Stove season becomes. But I ask, do we really want to help those things?
Well, yes and no. Yes, we want to expedite the process of the offseason but at the same time, all of that boring crap does one good thing: it helps us build our anticipation. It gets us excited. It lets us know that SOMETHING is coming next, even if we don’t know what’s coming next. That’s what baseball is all about. It’s a game of anticipation. What has happened is no doubt important, but what comes next is what drives the sport.
Opening Day is the first of the “nexts” we get during the lovingly long baseball season. And while it only lasts one day and means just as much (or little) to the standings come October, it’s our first great outburst. Our first great shout. It’s the first step in falling back in love with our favorite sport.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees