Chase Whitley was drafted by the Yankees in the 15th round of the 2010 draft. He was a 2 way player at Troy University in Alabama, playing 3rd base and pitching in relief. Originally from Ranburne Alabama, Whitley attended Southern Union State community college before transferring to Troy University. As a junior, Whitley posted a .364/.464/.564 with 10 HRs at 3rd base, but scouts saw more promise in his arm as he went 7-3 with a 3.68 ERA. He was the 475th overall pick in the 2010 draft.
Whitley got off to a great start in Staten Island. He took over the closer role and went 4-2 with a 1.31 ERA and 15 saves. In 34 innings, he had a K/9 rate of 11.5 with a BB/9 of 3.9 with a 2.03 FIP. Whitley also made the New York Penn League all-star team and locked down the game, earning the save for the American league. He had a brief stint in Tampa at the end of the year where he figures to start 2011.
2011 will be the first year Whitley is exclusively used as a pitcher, and the Yankees hope he’ll continue to develop. Right now, he throws an 88-93 mph fastball and has a true plus changeup. The Yankees had him work more on his slider and fastball last year which may have been why he struggled with command occasionally. With a big frame (6’4”, 220 lbs) the Yankees hope he can add more velocity now that he’s solely focused on pitching. Even if his slider develops I think it’s a good bet Whitley remains in the bullpen. Right now he’s a fast moving middle relief arm which certainly has plenty of value. If his velocity does jump however, he has the chance to be more of a late inning guy.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees