(The following is being syndicated from The Captain’s Blog).
Even before Andy Pettitte announced his retirement, there was a feeling of transition surrounding the Yankees. Maybe it was ushered in by Derek Jeter’s contentious contract negotiations or the decision to make Jorge Posada a permanent DH, but regardless, the Yankees’ blogosphere has been filled with sentimental retrospectives centered on the Core Four.
Before the current roster of legends, guys like Don Mattingly, Thurman Munson, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth were the icons for previous generations. However, as detailed in an earlier post, fans don’t always get the chance to say a proper goodbye. In most cases, a player’s final at bat or pitch passes by without any notice because the gravity of the moment is not yet understood.
Listed below are the final at bats/batters faced by the “best” players who have worn the pinstripes. With the exception of Ruth and Mike Mussina (and perhaps DiMaggio), there really was little reason to expect that the corresponding outcome would be the final snapshot in each player’s Yankee (or baseball) career. So, if there’s one lesson to be learned, it’s that fans should appreciate their favorite players while they can because many will be gone without warning.
Final AB of Yankees’ Top-20 Position Players, Ranked by WAR
|Last AB with Yankees|
|Babe Ruth^||149.6||9/30/1934||Senators||Tommy Thomas||Flyball to CF|
|Mickey Mantle||120.2||9/28/1968||Red Sox||Jim Lonborg||Pop fly to SS|
|Lou Gehrig||118.4||4/30/1939||Senators||Pete Appleton||Line out to CF|
|Joe DiMaggio||83.6||10/10/51+||Giants||Larry Jansen||Double to RF|
|Yogi Berra^||62.1||10/5/1963+||Dodgers||Don Drysdale||Line out to RF|
|Bill Dickey||54.4||9/8/1946||Senators||Sid Hudson||Single|
|Willie Randolph^||49.8||9/30/1988||Tigers||W.Hernandez||Flyball to RF|
|Bernie Williams||47.3||10/6/2006+||Tigers||Kenny Rogers||K swinging|
|Tony Lazzeri^||46.6||10/10/1937+||Giant||Don Brennan||Pop fly to SS|
|Earle Combs*||44.7||8/25/1935||ChiSox||J. Whitehead||Walk|
|Roy White||44.5||9/27/1979||Indians||Sid Monge||Sac Fly to LF|
|Thurman Munson||43.4||8/1/1979||ChiSox||Ken Kravec||K|
|Charlie Keller*||42.4||9/13/1952||ChiSox||Marv Grissom||K looking|
|Phil Rizzuto*||41.8||8/2/1956||Indians||Herb Score||Strikeout|
|Graig Nettles^||40.6||10/2/1983||Orioles||Tippy Martinez||Flyball to RF|
|Gil McDougald*||40||10/10/60+||Pirates||Roy Face||FC 6-4|
|Don Mattingly||39.8||10/8/1995+||Mariners||Randy Johnson||K looking|
|Tommy Henrich||37.6||10/1/1950||Red Sox||Harry Taylor||DP: 4-6-3|
|Joe Gordon^||36.3||9/18/1946||ChiSox||Earl Caldwell||Unknown out|
|Rickey Henderson^||30.1||6/20/1989||ChiSox||John Davis||RBI single CF|
^Last at bat of career with another team.
*Appeared as a pinch runner or defensive replacement after final at bat.
Final Batter Faced by Yankees’ Top-10 Pitchers, Ranked by WAR
|Last BF with Yankees|
|Whitey Ford||55.3||5/21/1967||Tigers||Jim Northrup||Groundout: 1u|
|Ron Guidry||44.4||9/27/1988||Orioles||Rene Gonzales||Groundout: 6-3|
|Lefty Gomez^||43.2||8/14/1942||Athletics||Dick Siebert||unknown out|
|Andy Pettitte||42.7||10/18/2010+||Rangers||Bengie Molina||Groundout: 6-3|
|Mel Stottlemyre||37.9||8/4/1974||Red Sox||Juan Beniquez||Flyball to CF|
|Bob Shawkey||37.6||9/29/1927||Athletics||Goose Goslin||unknown out|
|Mike Mussina||30.3||9/28/2008||Red Sox||Dustin Pedroia||DP: 4-6-3|
|Herb Pennock^||29.2||9/23/1933||Red Sox||unknown||unknown|
^Last batter faced in career as a member of another team.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees