News comes that the Yankees have signed former AL Cy Young winner Bartolo Colon to a minor league deal worth $900,000. Per Joel Sherman, Colon has the right to be released at end of spring if has not made the Yankees’ Major League roster.
I looked at Colon a few weeks ago, and concluded that while there didn’t appear to be much to like about Colon, “I suppose you could do worse if you were to sign Colon to a minor league deal with no guarantees regarding making the big league club.”
Seeing as how that’s pretty much exactly what has happened, this is a fine low-risk signing. However, I’m reluctant to add high-reward to that analysis, given that we really have no idea what Colon will end up providing, so let’s just call it “reward” and leave it at that. For what it’s worth, THT’s Oliver system has Colon’s 2011 Major League Equivalency line as 60 innings of 4.46 ERA ball with a 1.37 WHIP, 5.4 K/9, 2.4 BB/9, 1.2 HR/9, worth 0.6 WAR. The peripherals are pretty ugly, but that still seems like a surprisingly optimistic line for the typically negative Oliver projection system. If the Yankees were able to get even 100 innings out of Colon at around a 4.50 ERA in the back end of the rotation I think that’d have to be considered reasonably successful, but it just doesn’t seem likely.
Relatedly, you’d think it was amateur hour at the comedy club the way the Yankee beat writers are guffawing over this rather inconsequential move on Twitter. I remain baffled that the local papers employ people who continually display outright contempt for the team and the GM and routinely mock the moves the team makes (and doesn’t make). Honestly, if you hate the Yankees so much, why do this for a living? It can’t be because of the paycheck.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees