As one $148 million door closes, a $750,000 one opens. On the heels of last week’s Yankeeist analysis comes the news that the Yankees have signed their former 1998 draft pick (43rd overall) Mark Prior to a minor league deal that could be worth up to $1.5 million if he makes the big league club and reaches certain incentives. Prior will compete for a spot in the bullpen.
This is a perfect move for the Yankees, representing all upside and zero risk. While many doubters won’t expect the Yankees to get a thing out of Prior, who hasn’t thrown a pitch in the Majors since 2006, anything he does end up providing is gravy. If his arm falls off, so be it, the Yanks are on the hook for less than $1 million. For his career Prior is a 3.51 ERA/3.41 FIP/3.32 xFIP pitcher — if he can return to pitching at even 75% of that ability (although that’s probably asking quite a bit) he could end up being a surprisingly valuable piece out of the Yankee bullpen.
And there’s more good news, as yesterday’s Russell Martin signing became official with the passing of his physical. While the Yankees may have missed out on their top priority this offseason, it’s hard not to like the depth moves they’ve made thus far, and with around $20 million or so to play with there are certainly more to come.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees