The full quote, from @LohudYankees:
“He’s our DH. That’s what he is, unless he plays himself off it.”
This sounds like Jorge is not going to do any catching, something that I do not think many of us expected. Jesus Montero will likely be given the opportunity to win the full-time job, with Francisco Cervelli being his backup. This helps explain why the club is continuing to show interest in Russell Martin. If Montero fails to earn the starting job during spring training, Brian Cashman wants the team to have a legitimate starting option on the roster. Martin would represent such an option, while Frankie Cervelli spent 2010 showing himself to be an ill-fit for an everyday job.
One other implication of this is that it may make it more difficult to get a platoon player in the Matt Diaz or Scott Hairston mold to come to NY. If Jorge was also going to do 30-50 games of catching, the platoon player would likely soak up the DH at-bats during those games. With Jorge being the everyday DH, that platoon spot will be a bench spot that only sees time against the most difficult lefties. I cannot see a player such as Diaz, who has multiple suitors, coming to NY for that limited a role.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees