Back in August, Jim Callis of Baseball America was asked if the Yankees had a top 10 farm system. He was noncommittal, but suggested that they might be ranked in that range and were certainly in the conversation. Yesterday, he was asked a similar question, and his answer was an encouraging one for Yankees fans:
Yes. @mitchellnj: #Yankees Top 6 Farm System?
As I said back in August, this ranking displays the growth of the Yankees system over the last few months. Players such as Jesus Montero and Manny Banuelos retained the status they achieved last year, while Andrew Brackman and Dellin Betances had recovery years. Meanwhile, some players considered lesser prospects stepped up this year, as Hector Noesi, Brandon Laird, Ivan Nova, and Eduardo Nunez all bolstered their prospects status. Finally, some recent draftees and signings had big seasons or at least showed some promise, with Gary Sanchez, Slade Heathcott, David Phelps, Adam Warren, Corban Joseph, Jose Ramirez and Graham Stoneburner all popping up on the prospect radar.
The Yankee system is not yet elite, and it remains somewhat thin on the position player side. However, it took a major step forward this year, and considering how the Yankees offseason went, the availability of pitching prospects in the upper levels of the minor leagues is a boon to a team that needs all the pitching depth it can get. The farm system is there to supplement the major league club when necessary, and it seems that the Yankee system should be a source of cheap talent and trade fodder for the Yankees over the next 3 to 5 years or so.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees