Brian Cashman still doesn’t know who his pitching coach will be, but he knows who it won’t be. Anthony McCarron has the story from today’s NY Daily News:
Cashman refused to identify other candidates. But when asked specifically about former Braves and Orioles pitching coach Leo Mazzone, who has said he’s interested in the job, Cashman said, “No, we’re not going to interview Leo. Leo turned down the Yankee job once. He was offered the job before Gator (Ron Guidry) in 2006 and he went to Baltimore.”
Tom Hagen: Mr. Corleone never asks a second favor once he’s refused the first, understood?
In all seriousness, Mazzone’s pitching philosophy doesn’t mesh well with that of the Yankees. He believes in throwing more often, that the more you throw the stronger you get. There’s loads of medical research that contradicts that theory, which is why teams ‘baby’ pitchers the way they do nowadays. The Yanks pay their pitchers tons of money, they’re not about to hire a Pitching Coach that going to upset the way they do business. He may have had someone pushing for him within the organization back then, but it sure sounds like it wasn’t Cashman.
Further, Mazzone was a bit exposed in his stint with the O’s. Some folks thought he was a genius when he was in Atlanta coaching Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine (who all raved about him) but his 06-07 stint with the Orioles produced little in terms of results. They were 10th in the AL in team ERA the year before he arrived (05) and fell to 13th each of his two seasons as Pitching Coach. The human metronome will have to seek employment elsewhere.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees