Last night Mark Teixeira, Robinson Cano and Nick Swisher went a combined 4-14 (.286), with three RBI. Tex had two extra-base hits and scored two runs as well, doing all his damage after the 6th inning. Cano knocked in the Yankees’ first run of the game, while Swisher picked up a key base hit moments before Tex decided the Earth needed one more satellite in its orbit. As an added bonus, they had only a single strikeout between them.
The combined effort looms large before tonight’s game. Last season all three of these guys vanished in the playoffs. Tex managed an anemic .271 wOBA. Cano was worse, putting up a .240 effort. Swisher found himself benched for his .234 wOBA performance. Does last night’s game mean they turned a page?
As we’ve noted countless times, given that Cano, Swish and Tex basically carried the Yankee offense all season their continued production is critical to the team’s October success, especially because the team doesn’t have the same starting pitching as they did in 2009. CC Sabathia will pitch better, but between injuries, youth and awfulness, it is difficult to predict what Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and A.J. Burnett will provide the team. Given that it is unlikely that Alex Rodriguez will repeat his 2009 playoff performance, which was one of the best postseason runs of all-time, the Yankees will need a more balanced offensive attack than they featured last October. So far they’re off to a good start.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees