Over the last few weeks, I have twice predicted what the Yankees roster will look like in the ALDS. Now that the regular season is complete, I think it is easier to have a grasp on the direction that Joe Girardi will go. I believe the Yankees will take 14 position players and 11 pitchers:
Position Players (14)
The “bubble” players who I believe will make it are Kearns, Golson, Nunez, Mitre, and Nova.
Kearns has struggled mightily recently, striking out in seemingly every at-bat, but he has some pop which is otherwise lacking at the end of the bench. Nunez vs. Ramiro Pena is a toss-up, but Nunez has been given more opportunities lately and seems to have the inside track on the job due to his baserunning and bat. Golson provides some speed and defensive ability off the bench, and likely wins the last spot over Pena due to his greater level of comfort in the outfield.
Among pitchers, Mitre and Nova are the cream of a rather uninspiring long reliever/last man crop. Mitre has pitched well since the beginning of August, with a 2.78 ERA in 22.2 innings during that time period. As for Nova, the fact that the Yankees used him as a reliever on Saturday night rather than save him for a start on Sunday suggested that they were preparing him for the playoffs. Dustin Moseley, Chad Gaudin, and Javier Vazquez have all seemingly pitched their way out of contention. Royce Ring will likely be considered due to the Twins having a number of good lefty hitters, but I think his limited usage during the regular season makes him a poor choice.
What would your roster look like?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees