Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman met with the media today, and a lot of news emerged from their press conference:
1) Dave Eiland is out as pitching coach. Cashman said that Eiland is not being blamed for what happened in the playoffs, but would not divulge his reasons for letting Dave go. This is actually pretty surprising, but it is often hard to tell what kind of a job a pitching coach is doing. Eiland was given the job to help “The Big Three” enter the Yankee rotation, and only one of the three succeeded in doing so. That, combined with the inability to turn AJ Burnett and Javy Vazquez around, may be the explanation for his firing.
2) Both Girardi and Cashman expressed the wish that Joe return as manager. It seems fairly clear that he will return, probably on a 3 year deal. I would expect something around 3 years and 10 million dollars to be announced before free agency begins. In unrelated news, Incarcerated Bob’s twitter feed is now private.
3) According to Joe Girardi, the Yankees see Joba Chamberlain as a bullpen arm going forward. I think there is a good chance he is traded in the offseason.
4) Andy Pettitte’s back locked up on him after Game 2 in the ALDS, to the extent that he may not have been able to pitch had the series gone to a Game 5. This played into Joe’s decision (that has since been much criticized) to start Hughes in game 2 of the ALCS. This allowed Andy an extra 2 days off.
5) Jesus Montero will likely be given a chance to be a big part of the 2011 Yankees. Cashman said he has people who think Jesus is ready for the majors now.
6) Derek Jeter will be back, and they are not going to lowball him. I’d expect something like 3 years, 60 million. “There’s still game left in that guy. He’s going to be a part of this franchise. We’ll work something out.”
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees