This one doesn’t even deserve a snappy title. Staked to a 2-0 lead on a Marcus Thames two-run bomb off David Price in the second, CC Sabathia clearly didn’t have his best stuff, laboring through 5 1/3 innings, his shortest outing since lasting only five on May 23 against the Mets. Sabathia was ultimately tagged for seven earned runs, though four of those came around to score after CC had left the game for Joba Chamberlain.
Javier Vazquez came on an inning later and showed why he won’t be pitching any meaningful innings in October even if he makes the postseason roster, walking Ben Zobrist to lead the second off and in a feat so comically absurd it defies words, somehow managed to hit three batters in a row.
Price wasn’t quite as lights-out as he was last week but he didn’t need to be, as he tossed six innings of three run ball. After the Rays added two more in the seventh off Javy to make it 10-3, Joe Girardi literally surrendered, subbing Juan Miranda, Eduardo Nunez, Colin Curtis and Ramiro Pena in for the top of the eighth and also moving Thames to left field. I know the game was essentially out of hand at that point, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a manager willingly raise the white flag like that before.
So we’re right back where we started four days ago, with the Rays a 1/2 game out. I suppose it’s some consolation that I predicted a split, although it’s still pretty frustrating that the Yankees couldn’t win a third game after taking the first two. Ultimately, the less said about this one, the better. Looking forward to shaking it off and moving on to the weekend.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees