Prior to this season, Baseball America ranked the Yankee farm system 22nd in baseball, as a handful of graduations and struggles from former top prospects left the team a bit thin everywhere but catcher. However, as Eric’s list shows, the system has been rejuvenated over recent months, and is now one of the better farm systems in the sport. When asked on Twitter about the Yankees’ ascension up the ranks and whether they had entered the top 10, BA editor Jim Callis said the following:
Might be. Takes a lot of time to break down all the orgs in detail, don’t do that until offseason.
This obviously is not the strongest endorsement, and it may be the case that a closer examination leaves the Yankees out of the top 10. But the fact that the question was not simply dismissed displays the growth of the Yankees system over the last four months. Players such as Jesus Montero, Austin Romine, and Manny Banuelos retained the status they achieved last year, while Andrew Brackman and Dellin Betances had recovery years. Meanwhile, some players considered lesser prospects stepped up this year, as Hector Noesi, Brandon Laird, Ivan Nova, and Eduardo Nunez all bolstered their prospects status. Finally, some recent draftees and signings had big seasons or at least showed some promise, with Gary Sanchez, Slade Heathcott, David Phelps, Adam Warren, Corban Joseph, Jose Ramirez and Graham Stoneburner all popping up on the prospect radar.
The Yankee system is far from elite, and remains somewhat thin on the position player side. However, it took a major step forward this year, and should be a source of cheap talent and trade fodder for the Yankees over the next 3 to 5 years or so.
Note: Our very own Rebecca, who writes for her own site This Purist Bleeds Pinstripes as well, interviewed Jose Pena of the DSL Yankees this week. Check it out, it is a great read and worth your time.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees