A TALE OF TWO BOONES
Not all that long ago, I think we all wanted Boone Logan gone from the Yankees as soon as possible. The lefty appears to have turned a corner in his second time up with the Yankees. In his first stint, he had an .861 OPS against and had more walks (7) than strikeouts (6) and 13 hits in 10.2 innings. Since being recalled on June 16, Logan has pitched better. His OPSA is .597 in that span and his k-rate is improved (13 K in 13.2 IP). The walk rate (6; 4.09 per nine) is better, too. So, what’s he doing differently? Let’s look at the Pitch F/X and see if we can dig anything up from there.
His velocity is almost identical to where it was in April and May, but he’s getting more swings–and swings and misses–on his pitches.
In April and May, Boone got swings on 50.3% of his fastballs and swings and misses on 7.7% of those. On his slider, the numbers were 45.8 and 16.7 respectively. His changeup: 35.7 and 14.3. Fast forward to June through August:
So, with similar stuff, Boone’s getting some more swings and misses. We can guess that he’s simply throwing more strikes, as evidenced by the decreased walk rate and the fact that he’s thrown more strikes on each of his pitches. Despite the frustrating control, the stuff was there. Now that Logan’s (apparently) started locating, he could be a solid LOOGY.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees