In a mildly surprising move, Lance Berkman has been placed on the DL and Eduardo Nunez has been called up. We first heard that Nunez was with the club this morning, leading many to believe that Alex Rodriguez was the one headed to the disabled list. However, despite being available last night as a pinch hitter, Berkman was put on the shelf, as he continues his quest to emulate Nick Johnson in every way possible.
The recall of Nunez, an infielder, to replace Berkman suggests that A-Rod is unlikely to play the field for the next few days. If he was able to play third base, Berkman likely would have been replaced by Juan Miranda, who he had supplanted at the trade deadline. I would expect Nunez to be with the club until Alex can play the field again, at which point he will be exchanged for Miranda until rosters expand on September 1st.
Other options that some Yankees fans might have wanted to see get a shot include Brandon Laird and Jesus Montero. I advocated calling up Laird when it seemed like A-Rod was heading to the DL, but I understand not going through the machinations of getting him on the roster 10 days before they expand just to be a backup for a few days. As for Montero, he is not on the 40 man roster, and adding him now, before it is necessary for Rule 5 draft purposes, could cost the Yankees a player they may want to keep in the Rule 5 draft (h/t @joepawl). We will likely have to wait until 2011 to see Jesus.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees