Tonight, the Yankees will face the second of four left handed pitchers in a row when they take on the Texas Rangers. His name is C.J. Wilson.
He’s pitched in 22 games this year, all starts. He’s thrown 136.1 innings, so that’s about 6.2 innings per start. His ERA looks real good at 3.30 and his FIP is solid at 4.01. His xFIP is 4.59 so he’s a bit above where he “should” be, but he’s done a great job of keeping the ball in the park (0.53 HR/9) so it makes that his FIP is good.
Wilson’s K/9 isn’t overly impressive at 6.80, and it looks even more “meh” when compared to his 4.36 BB/9 (1.56 K/BB). His BAA is a crazy low .216, which comes from another low: his .258 BABIP (.294 career). This is mostly thanks to a 16.1 LD% (19% career). His FB% is at a career high 34.7%, but the low HR/FB (6%, 10% career) is helping him out.
Whatever he’s doing, it’s working. Here’s what he brings to the table:
Texas Leaguers has Wilson down for six different pitches: a four seam fastball, a two seam fastball, a cutter, a slider, a changeup, and a curve.
The two fastballs have a similar velocity, 90.5 on the four seamer and 90.3 on the two seamer, but the two seamer, predictably, has more horizontal movement. The most swings and misses he’s gotten, 12.7%, have come from his slider.
It’s hard to pin exactly what Wilson will attack with since he’s thrown such a variety of pitches. None of his peripherals or in his batted ball profile (GBs/FBs/LDs) really pops out, save for the low LD% and the low HR/FB%. Hopefully, the Yankees can correct those two things and make Wilson’s ERA rise a little bit.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees